Sunday, August 26, 2007

Grown-up night out

Since my mother-in-law is currently in town, Husband and I got to go on a date last night. This makes the third time that we've been able to go out since Bean was born. Once to a party when Bean had fallen asleep and my mom was there to take care of her. Then last weekend for our wedding anniversary and my MIL was there. And last night.

Husband and I wanted to go see this documentary we had heard about on NPR called No End In Sight. It was an amazing piece on the Iraq war, focused basically on the failed reconstruction efforts, and how mistakes made by Bremmer, Cheney, and Rumsfeld contributed to/caused the insurgency in Iraq. It also spent a considerable amount of time discussing the current situation for Iraqi civilians. It was horrifying.

What was equally horrifying was that on a Saturday night, the 7:00 showing, there were only 9 people in the audience including us.

I spent the rest of the night thinking about how Iraqi mothers are raising their children in a land where they can not protect them from violence and fear. About how these women can not send their children to school because there are no schools. How these children can be abducted at gun point by brutal mafias who plan to extort money from their impoverished families.

I've never felt more vunerable or more lucky in my entire life.

No comments: