Friday, August 17, 2007

While mama's away...

I'm sure every mother who returns to work has a post like this. But nonetheless...

She's growing and changing while I'm at work!!! Last night I came home from work, and our little 4 month old, Bean, was making a few new noises. I commented to my mother-in-law (who is filling in on baby duty until Bean starts daycare in September), who replied that Bean had been "talking" all day. Well, I took Bean on a walk at the park, and she talked the entire way around the lake. For about 90 minutes straight she seemed to be exploring her voice and making new sounds and just generally making noise. It was like a switch had been flipped. She suddenly realized that "Hey, I can make noise" and was just having a fantastic time doing so. It was amazing, and I was ecstatic. We had a great time "talking" to each other.

Later on, when the day finally winded down and I got into bed, I was sad. The first full week I went back to work (at the end of July), Bean learned to grab toys with her hands. And now she's found her voice. While I was away. It's both wonderful and bittersweet.

Stupid job.

No comments: