Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Back to real life

This morning I went on my first run in almost a year. It felt good, and also horrible. My lungs were on fire for the first 5 minutes or so, and then after that I was distracted by an entirely different pain. Apparently Mama needs a new sports bra. Surprisingly, the one I got at Target for 10 bucks before I got pregnant isn't cutting it, and my poor sore nursing boobs were not happy with the bouncing. I had to run clutching my chest the entire time. Luckily there aren't too many people out and about at 5:15 a.m. so I wasn't too embarrassed.

I only ran about 2 miles, but I broke the first-run-after-a-hiatus barrier, and I think that's important in and of itself. I'm going to get myself a new sports bra ASAP, and in the meantime I'll just have to suck it up. I gotta build some momentum while I can.

7 comments:

ScientistMother said...

holy shit you run at 5 am in the morning. you are my hero!

ScienceMama said...

Not by choice, my friend. Not by choice.

Candid Engineer said...

Good for you! And all I ever run is 2-3 miles. And I never, ever do it at 5am. If I did run at 5am, I'd probably only make it 2-3 blocks.

Get yourself a new sports bra in a fun color (I don't know why wearing a purple sports bra motivates me), keep at it, and you will be back to yourself in no time. :)

ScienceGirl said...

I just went on my first post-baby run a week ago, so I hear you! Here's to more runs!

Balancing Act said...

Good job on breaking the barrier! Definitely get yourself the stuff you need to do this. Don't put off your next run because you need some proper equipment.

the "L" spot said...

doesnt that horrible cant breath feeling feel amazing!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! My son is three months old and I have not yet made the return to running. I ran into my pregnancy but had to stop at about 5 1/2 months as the pressure on my bladder was causing... challenges.. I have not yet started up again, but your post gives me a push. Thank you!