Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Teeth are mean

Whoever decided that babies should be born without teeth, and that the teeth should one by one come ripping through their tiny gums? What a terrible terrible idea. I submit this as proof that intelligent design is a crock. Clearly the designer's an idiot.

It has been a really difficult week (I seem to say that a lot lately. Hmm..). Bean has had one front tooth pop through and is simultaneously working on some molars. Or so we suspect. She won't let us have a look in her mouth to see. But the rivers of drool and snot pouring out of her face are a hint, as she sticks her tiny hand all the way to the back of her mouth and chews and chews. She tries to eat but it hurts her mouth and she spits the food back out. We've resorted to yogurt, banana and cheese.

Last night Bean woke up about 20 minutes after we put her to bed. She screamed and cried for literally 2.5 straight hours. And not just regular crying. Crying until she was hoarse, wet with drool and tears, sweaty from the exertion of crying so hard. She'd fall asleep for less than a minute only to wake up screaming again. Husband and I swapped off, 20 minutes at a time, hugging little Bean and rocking her. Singing and stroking. Finally, when she calmed down enough to try, I nursed her again. She didn't even really try to nurse, just lay there with her little chest shuddering and hiccuping, quietly petting me. After a little while, she fell asleep.

At 9:30, Husband and I sat down to a cold dinner and watched some History channel show about the Black Sea.

6 comments:

ruchi said...

Poor little Bean!! Is she allowed Baby Tylenol? Does that help?

Katie said...

I bet the Black Sea was pretty interesting after all of that. :o) Hope your baby feels better soon.

hgg said...

Hmm, I'm not sure you'd want your unborn baby to chew on your uterus before delivery...

Joke aside, this sounds awful. I dont remember my Goose teething so badly. But maybe my brain has put it somewhere where I can't access the memory. Hope it's over pretty soon.

EcoGeoFemme said...

Oh, poor Bean! Poor Bean's parents! I hope it gets better quickly.

mama of the valley said...

Unfortunately the teething show continues on for quite some time. My Little Guy does really well with most teething, but (don't get jealous yet) those molars were nightmares. He'd try to touch where it hurt but he'd have to put his whole hand in his mouth and this almost always ended in him gagging himself. Most recent flare up was Mother's Day -- 4 roadside stops to clean up puke. Fun stuff!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there with the teeth! The first ones are the worst because they can't tell you where it hurts...the frozen plastic water thinggies (teethers) are the best though :)

Poor Bean :(