Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Running, etc

The running is going... okay. I'm frustrated because I don't feel as comfortable with my mileage as I would like. My standard run now is 6 miles, which is good. Except that 6 miles used to be kind of my base run. It was a mindless effort, it was standard. Right now, I'm still having to push to get 6 miles out of myself, coaxing myself to the end. So it's frustrating that I'm still feeling so out of shape.

But I am working at it, getting out to run consistently, improving my times little by little. This morning I did my longest run since I started training again, completing a 7 mile run in a decent time.

As I neared the end of my run this morning, a little past mile 6, I passed two guys on the trail eating little fast food sandwiches. One of the guys called out as I passed "You go, girl" in a mocking tone and they broke out into laughter.

In my head I shouted "How far did you run this morning, a-hole?", and "Way to chow on that hoagie, guy", and "Shut your cake-hole, jerk." But really I just put my head down and tried not to cry.

It's amazing how, even as a 28-year-old, some dude with something rude to say can still make me feel like I'm in middle school. Can still make me feel like a fat clumsy oaf. Can make me feel ashamed.

That's why it makes me so angry when guys honk or yell at me when I run. Not because I'm angry as an objectified woman. But because it makes me self-conscious and sad.

8 comments:

EcoGeoFemme said...

Oh no! That sucks. It's probably because they are insecure seeing you look all hot and powerful running by while they eat crap on a bench. They know they should be doing as you do.

Even if you were in better shape before, you must be pretty fit now if you can run 6 or 7 miles. I can't even run 1. Pathetic! Don't be so hard on yourself. You're clearly awesome!

Queen Zucchini said...

6 or 7 miles ain't nothin to laugh at. You've gotta be in pretty sweet shape to do that comfortably! I got out of breath carrying my baby up a flight of stairs today. You humble me ;)

Queen Zucchini said...

Oh, and don't you wanna be all bad-ass superhero karate master chick and just turn around and kick the crap out of those losers? That's what I would do...in my dreams...

Jennie said...

I always shoot the finger or say f'u when I get those types of comments or honks, even if the men are trying to be nice and flirty instead of jerks. It has happened so much that it's second nature.
So when you said you were a runner you really meant it! I've never ran or wanted to run more than 6 miles, ok maybe I wanted to but only in an in my dreams kinda way.

hgg said...

I'm with Jenny; both of my middle fingers goes up automatically when I get shit like that. You should pull out the old Wu Tang Clan tune and replace Wu Tang Clan with Science Mama (http://www.youtube.com/
watch?v=27zhsc_O508)

When I'm out running I usually work up a certain level of agression in case I get comments and I have to focus not to say "fuck off" if someone just says "Bonjour". A bit overkill maybe, but it makes me not fear any comments.

Unknown said...

ug. I hate that too... not that I run, but in general, a sneer or a snicker as I walk by or exist in someone's general presence sends me right back to vulnerable awkward teenager. Former lab members used to do this to some people during lab meeting presentations and it drove me CRAZY, but I never said anything to them about it

hgg said...

oops, sorry Jennie for getting your name wrong!

ruchi said...

Oh my god. That SUCKS. What are they, 12?

But sheesh! I can't run one mile. Hell, I can barely walk two! So running 6 or 7? You are my hero!!