Sunday, June 29, 2008

I'm baaack... (Part 1)

So I'll start with the conference. The conference was great. There was lots of really great science, lots of interaction, good poster sessions, and my poster was fairly well received. So that was great. In fact, overall the conference was rather invigorating scientifically... I couldn't wait to get back to work.

Unfortunately the conference was held in the hottest place on earth. It was over 110 degrees F every single day (topping out at 118 deg F). If I didn't have my race this weekend, I certainly would have skipped out on running while I was away. But unfortunately for me, my race was just two days after I returned from the conference. So instead I hauled my butt out of bed early each day and went running at 5:30 a.m. to try to beat the heat. I was unsuccessful. Even at 5:30 a.m. it was 80 degrees outside, and since we were in the desert there was absolutely no shade from the sun. Worse yet, it was 0% humidity so it was like running with a wad of Kleenex in my throat. And best of all, I caught some sort of chest cold (most likely on the plane). Not exactly ideal conditions for preparing for my race.

Husband and the Bean did perfectly fine of course. And both Husband and a friend sent me pictures of the Bean every day while I was away (the highlight of each day by far).

I brought the pump with me to keep the breast milk going while I was gone. Of course that meant the obligate embarrassing extra search at airport security.

"Um, we're going to have to search your bag here, ma'am. Can you tell me what's in here?"

"It's a breast pump."

"What?"

(Louder) "A breast pump."

They MUST see these things every single day. They should know by now exactly what a Medela Symphony looks like... and yet... "A breast pump?" Followed by a complete wipe down and testing in their machine. Sigh.

I got back on Friday, just in time for the arrival of my buddy Wom who flew in from Chicago and did the half marathon with me. Which was successful, btw, and I'll post about that tomorrow. But for tonight, I'm going to veg on the couch and then go to bed early. I'm beat!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like the conference was great! and congrats on the race... looking forward to reading all about it