Friday, December 5, 2008

Getting back in the saddle

After my house flooded and we spent 3 weeks couch surfing, and then countless more weeks trying to put our life back together, I kind of fell out of my normal routine. One of the casualties of that loss of routine was my daily run.

I am not one of those people who is just naturally a size 6. In fact, sometimes I think those people have made a pact with the devil (a pact I would totally make if the devil would only offer). As it is, if I don't exercise on a regular basis, my jeans don't fit. And I get grumpy. I am a much happier person all around if I A) get regular exercise, and B) don't have back fat.

As life has finally (at least temporarily) settled back down, re-instituting my daily run has been a top priority. In order to find a way to fit that into my day, while still allowing Husband to work late in the lab, we've stopped carpooling.

For the past several weeks my new routine has been to leave the house at 6:00 a.m., drive to the park and ride, take the bus into work, work for a few hours, and then when my lab work offers a break (and when the sun has actually risen) I go for a run. This schedule allows me to work a full day, get in a run, and still pick up the Bean on time. This schedule has pros and cons.

Pro:
I get my daily exercise, which will stop the current expansion of my giant butt.

Con:
I leave the house before Bean is even awake, so I don't get to see her before work.

Pro:
I get an hour or two of alone time in the lab, which is a great way to be productive.

Con:
Bean and I have had to give up nursing in the morning, which has been a little hard on both of us.

Pro:
I get to run when it's light out, which is safer and slightly warmer.

Con:
I spend the first couple of hours each morning dressed in my running clothes, unshowered. Not too great for everyone else.

Pro:
I'm not tempted to skip a run, so I'm running consistently.

Con:
Sometimes when packing my clean clothes to bring to work, I make mistakes. Like forgetting socks. Or in todays case, packing a black lace bra to wear under a white shirt, forcing me to wear my coat all day.

Pro:
I love running! Eleventy!!(11!!)!!

Con:
Other times, like today, the fire alarm goes off while you are using the shower at work, forcing you to dress quickly and stand outside with wet hair. In the cold. In your white T-shirt and black bra.

12 comments:

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Hee hee - I bike to work and shower and change when I arrive, and I've brought a black bra with white shirt more than once. It's worse in summer when you can't just hide behind your coat!

hgg said...

Can you have some extra socks or different coloured bras in a drawer somewhere at work? Works for me...

Grumpy, PhD said...

I give you tons of credit for maintaining such a schedule. I haven't worked out a single time since the semester started, and that definitely makes me Grumpy.

ScienceGirl said...

I am very impressed!

The bean-mom said...

I shivered just reading this post.

And yeah, you're a bad-ass--I don't have energy to walk up the stairs sometimes, let alone run!

Unknown said...

Hehe, I did that once. I went to the gym in the morning before work and forgot to pack a bra. Spent the whole day in my sweaty Enell hoping no one could smell me. Worst day ever.

Maria

Monado said...

Congrats on the running. Do you have a locker or even a drawer? I usually have an extra top in case I spill something. An extra bra, flesh-coloured, would work with anything.

I never run from work (well, I hardly ever run) but sometimes shower first and then bike to work. I arrive wide awake and warmed up, but in about 10 minutes I'm cool and can change into work clothes.

Monado said...

The one thing I do in the mornings is swim, and since I wear the bathing suit under my clothes I'm petrified of getting out of the pool and finding I have no dry underwear!

Candid Engineer said...

I am with you on the whole 'not naturally thin' thing. If I lose vigilance for even a month, I often blow up like a balloon. With all of my moving and other crazy shit going on the last couple of months, I don't think I've gone for a run since late September. My jeans are now cutting into my waistline, and I feel like a stuffed sausage. The good news is that life has settled down, so hopefully I can be good like you and get back in the saddle.

I am glad that you've been able to put this important thing back in your life.

Kelly S. said...

You should pack a weeks worth of clothes and leave them at work. easier. Also, you only have to tote a bag once a week...I so need to work the gym into my schedule. sigh. (looks back at butt, cringes)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I keep coming to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]motherofallscientists.blogspot.com is filled with quality info. I am sure due to busy scedules we really do not get time to care about our health. Let me show you one truth. Recent Research displays that almost 90% of all USA adults are either fat or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these individuals, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? Quick weight loss can be achived with little effort. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am author of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.

Unknown said...

Great information you have hear. This is truly inspirational and I hope it inspires at least one more person to take their health and fitness more seriously. Thanks for Sharing this secret.
Green Tea