Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Fall is falling

So, it's getting to be the end of summer, and fall is officially starting here. The weather has turned from sunny to gray, and it's been at least drizzling every day for the last week or so. Last night as I went to take Pup out for the last time of the day, I could smell the wet asphalt in the air and thought "It's fall."

As usual, this time of year is bittersweet for me. The summers are short and fantastic here, and so the end of summer is sad. No more leaving the house without a coat. No more lazy afternoons in the grass at the park (unless I want to get muddy and cold). Our weekend walks become a little less leisurely and a little more brisk. And having grown up someplace where you often wear short sleeves on Christmas day, it's sad when the weather turns cold. But on the other hand, I absolutely love the fall here. It's amazing to see the leaves turn on the trees, I love a good stormy night by the fire. I like eating soup and bread for dinner and curling up on the couch. I have always loved the rain.

This is Bean's first fall, and I am ridiculously excited about it. I am just as excited about bundling her up in a hoodie and her hat and showing her the changing leaves as I was about taking her to the park in a sundress and putting her little toes in the grass. I know most people will say that she won't remember this crap when she's older, but Bean LOVES going outside and looking at the trees. I think she'll love it even more when the trees turn technicolor. And I know she'll like fall even more when we get her some rainboots and she can splash in the puddles, but for now I'm looking forward to just bundling her up and taking her on more walks.

Also, I am a HUGE sucker for Thanksgiving and Christmas. My family has very few traditions. The traditions we do have are all centered around Christmas. So I get all sappy and romantic about Thanksgiving and Christmas starting around, oh... now. Not that I'm one of those annoying people who starts their Christmas shopping in April. Christmas for me has very little to do with all the gift buying. I get excited for the communal cooking and cookie baking, the Christmas lights on houses, hot chocolate with little red sprinkles on top, the smell of evergreens. I know, I know. It's all horribly kitsch. But I'm so excited about including my little girl in some of my familys traditions, and starting some new traditions for my daughter too.

No comments: